39 – 3D Laser Scanning for Highly Accurate Visualization
3D laser scanning for use with 3D modeling and visualization is possibly the most accurate form of visualization today.
Civil FX Updates
- Lots of good response from the visualization challenge, expecting more responses this time
- The difference between an expert and a specialist
- If you find this podcast helpful, honest reviews are always appreciated – www.civilfx.com/itunes
Laser Scanning for Highly Accurate Visualization
- What is laser scan technology?
- How does it work?
- What industries is it used in?
- Why do we want it for civil projects?
- The three different types of mounted scanning devices
- Data capture is the first step
- The data is represented by a ‘point cloud’
- The point cloud has no real geometry
- You have to model around the point cloud data by bringing the points into a modeling program
- Recap and Cloudworx are two of the programs available to help with point cloud modeling and presentation
- While laser scanning can replace survey in certain situations, the visualization will still be representative at this point
- If photoscan technology gets good enough then there won’t be any real need for laser scan because it is much cheaper to take pictures
- This isn’t the most efficient method of capturing data for modeling