27 – 3D Visualization from a Video Game Perspective
Turning civil engineering projects essentially into video games has been a passion of mine for a while and is at the core of the mission of Civil FX. In this episode of the podcast I break down why you should pay attention to the video game world and how we can learn from the more interactive cousin of 3D visualization.
Civil FX Update
- Tentative plan to start the first visualization challenge on Jan 1, 2015. More info coming soon.
- Congrats to Mark and Nick for leaving the best comments as per my challenge a few weeks ago.
- Check out the latest blog posts from this past week: An Honest Review of InfraWorks and a How To video on getting terrain into InfraWorks for free.
- My history with video games
- My experience with clients has shown that they really appreciate interactive meetings
- I feel that much of the future in 3D visualization for both architects and civil engineering is real-time
- The budgets of big games allow them to be the leading edge of this technology
- Many of these tools are now available for us to use
- The trick is how to bridge the gap between CAD and these tools
- Whole world modeling vs corridor modeling
- Rethink traditional rendering
- Hiring for visualization teams should focus sometimes on those with gaming backgrounds
- Custom textures vs tiles textures
- Interactive worlds
- I want to turn your project into a video game
- Should I use the term ‘video game’ on my website and when speaking with potential clients? (let us know in the comments!)
- UPDATE: Interesting conversation going on about the question of the day in the LinkedIn Group.