36 – Creating 3D Objects from Pictures (Intro to 123D Catch)
Photoscan technology has me completely rethinking the possibilities of existing world modeling.
Civil FX Updates
- The 1st Visualization Challenge ended yesterday (see the results here!)
- For those who missed this challenge, the next one will start on Feb 1st
- Starting Weekly Roundup which is the best in 3D visualization from the past week
- For this reason, I will be moving the podcast to Wednesday so the Roundup can be Friday
3D Objects from Pictures
- Why would you want to do this?
- It is possible to pull 3D geometry manually from pictures
- The most exciting application of picture to 3D is a process called stereophotogrammetry, or photoscanning
- How photoscanning works (I read this post in the episode)
- How to capture pictures for a good photoscan
- Next week we will dive into drones in more depth
- 123D Catch enables nearly anyone to test this software
- Other software available for photoscanning (PhotoScan by Agisoft)